Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Psalm 11: Remembering the Fight That Is Good

1.
I signed on
for something great
but am told to
run
like a frightened child
to a mother’s warm
embrace.
The life that is made
of trying to live
the way I know is right

is a life of fearing
failure daily,
fear like a bone-deep
knowledge of the time
of one’s death,
this knowledge belies
the ways and means
of those who mean
far worse than we.

2.
The very rules of
engagement have
been destroyed by
the practice of profit
,
our enemies own the
very streets on which
we try to stand.
The basic sounds we make
are different
,
how then do we
communicate our wish
to love them like
we ought
.

3.
Our God
is firmly in place,
in all and every
thing;
And Our God
is in Them
.

4.
God’s eye sees us
both, and God’s eye
closes in judgment.
God, we wish not judgment,
but mercy for all.


5.
Our Lord will test us
in our right convictions;
but God’s will is tried
on their false
ideology as well.
God hates the
Soul of Violence.

6.
Evil is undone
in history, and
has laid in place
a trap for every lie,
and a trial for
each injustice
.
We must fear for
Our wicked enemy’s
fate.

7.
God is good,
hence God loves goodness;
God smiles on us,
friend, and watches
us in good faith
.

1/27/05

perfect practice
makes perfect

10 Comments:

At February 15, 2005 at 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. As I began reading, I saw all of the ominous looming in reference to God, but as you write on, it becomes more and more, "But here's why you should believe." which I really like. You have a way of making me think, Mars. It's wonderful and I love you for it.

 
At February 16, 2005 at 8:14 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

awesome as always, Marty. I hope you are doing well by the way and Kara is too.

 
At February 16, 2005 at 11:58 AM, Blogger Scott Jones said...

This one is quite intriguing. It seems so stylistically different from the others.

 
At February 16, 2005 at 12:10 PM, Blogger Tack City said...

Nat:
I love you and am glad you're still reading this stuff.

Kelly:
Thank you. We're getting along. It's been a difficult time, of course, but we're doing okay I think. Thanks for your thoughts.

Scott:
You think so? It doesn't seem very different to me. How does it to you?

 
At February 16, 2005 at 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guy. Been thinking about you a lot these days. Hope you are well. Take care of my city, I miss both you and it.

 
At February 16, 2005 at 1:51 PM, Blogger Scott Jones said...

I can't completely put my finger on it, but part of it is that it seems so much more positive, particularly at the end. It feels less critical of various things and more from a place of simple faith and praise.

 
At February 17, 2005 at 11:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

1. I agree with Scott.
2. I'm disappointed by the fact I was forced only into exiguous usage of the Webster's Unabridged. Could it be my vocabulary is aggrandizing?
3. Nice lack of usage of the word f*@#. That creates such a cognitive dissonance within, even though I know that's you're f*&#ing point.

 
At February 18, 2005 at 6:07 AM, Blogger Tack City said...

I don't try to add the f-word gratuitously in any of the psalms (conversation, however, is a different story). Generally I try to avoid it, specifically because this stuff is overtly religious and a lot of religious types shut down automatically over such an insignificant thing. I didn't realize that this psalm didn't have it, though. I guess thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to try harder to work it into the next one.

 
At February 18, 2005 at 12:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't change your mode or method for my sake. I need a good dissonant cog every once in a while; and I recognize and apprecieate non-gratuitous usage. I think this stuff is f*#@ing awesome! Plus, you've given me opportunity to use a typographically euphemized version of the word f*#@, which admittedly feels somewhat liberating.

I hope you're finding the humor in all this. I'm afraid my previous post sounded critical.

 
At February 18, 2005 at 1:26 PM, Blogger Tack City said...

Didn't seem critical at all, YtJ. I took it in a spirit of youth ministering.
Wait. I'm not one of your youth. Nor even in your church.

Stop telling me what to do!

Enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home