Saturday, October 23, 2004

2nd Psalm- Of the Morning

I was recently directed
to a computerized
Sinners' Prayer
fulminating in a chance to
win an H2 Hummer.
The anathema
and the insult.
I was, thereby, further
convinced of my doom.

Another story I heard
was of a [wayward] brother
in Tulsa who claims his
own personal yellow H2
is indeed his Christian trademark.
The other brother who related this
unto me & mine said:
"While you're fucking up the environment,
your church is fucking up the gospel.
A fitting trademark, indeed."

Our Lord has blessed me
Golden
With an opportunity to
understand these two
divergent narratives
and charged me, it would seem,
with reconciliation.

God, I'm not so sure
I'm smart enough to
pull this off.
I'm not at all so certain
that my rage can be
contained.

And if G.W.
should win again this year,
I'm not convinced
the gap to come
will be one I
can bridge.

I'd like some
practical advice on
how to lean not
on my own understanding
,
since it's all you've
given me
apart from righteous anger
(the answer book seems
pretty confusing, since
men have taken to distorting).

You can break us with
a rod of iron
and dash us into
pieces as a
potter's vessel.

But will you, now,
instead of that,
bring us to Torah
and Jubilee
so my brother will
give up his Hummer
and, I, my
presumption of
your right hand.

10/15/04

10 Comments:

At October 23, 2004 at 12:16 PM, Blogger educat said...

My god, Marty. This might have been the best worship experience I have had in a while. May we all find such a balance.

 
At October 23, 2004 at 1:53 PM, Blogger Scott Jones said...

Yes. It builds to such a powerful crescendo.

 
At October 23, 2004 at 4:05 PM, Blogger Tack City said...

I'm so happy you both liked it. The next one, though, is just kind of depressing, so, you know, you may wanna just bookmark the current one, so's you can come back and cleanse your pallate.

 
At October 23, 2004 at 4:47 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Hey Marty, I hope its ok with you, I added you to my links list on my site. I like the psalm, too, by the way. Keep up the good work, brother.

 
At October 23, 2004 at 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. Thanks for posting it.
Kristen M

 
At October 24, 2004 at 6:53 AM, Blogger Trav said...

Nice, Marty. Very nice.

 
At October 25, 2004 at 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fantastic. its like i know you, and where you are comming from...

michael

 
At October 26, 2004 at 9:12 AM, Blogger Scott Jones said...

Marty, I've re-read this a couple of times and like it even more. Looking at all the links really adds to it. Bravo!

 
At October 27, 2004 at 8:47 PM, Blogger Tack City said...

Sorry it's taken me a bit to post another psalm.

I was busy watching history get made.

God Bless my beloved Red Sox.

1918-2004.

(I'm a big enough sap that it made me cry.)

 
At October 28, 2004 at 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think that i have read this enough... i am ready for a new one... yea, GO BOSTON. Why did we not watch together last night???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home