Monday, October 03, 2005

Psalm 20: A Prayer on My Birthday

You are not too broken for God,
you worship the same one as Gustavo Gutierrez,
The God that surprises you
with quiet
and strengthens you
with talk of the Kingdom.
God remembers the
spark of divinity
with which you were born
and will ordain your efforts
if you make them.
God will grant you
a voice from your spirit:
you are completely
known.
God's people
rejoice in your choice
of life
and celebrate you
in the name of God.
Your prayers are
already answered.
God offers you life
and hears you weeping.
You could trust in your
human violence
or you could
expect the wholeness
of Shalom.
That violence will fail you:
You are of
Resurrection People
and may stand up
straight.
God saved you already.
Allow God
to hear you.

7/30/76

3 to go now

4 Comments:

At October 3, 2005 at 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus, that's good Marty. It reads like Scripture, and warms my thoughts. Thanks.
Shane

 
At October 4, 2005 at 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated, Sir. I hope these are eventually "paper" published. I mean, it wouldn't be a stretch seeing as how this is great poetry and sometimes even bad poetry gets published. I hear Shel Silverstein has a new posthumous book out, whatever that means. Basically, Marty, I'm trying to give you a compliment.

 
At October 7, 2005 at 12:09 PM, Blogger Trav said...

Happy birthday, my man. I'll listen to some TMBG and drink some scotch to mark the occasion...you must do the same.

This psalm is, in my opinion, your best one yet. Your writing never ceases to amaze me.

 
At June 7, 2006 at 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i realize this comment is now months behind the post, but i returned to this site today (which i often do, hoping for a new psalm) and decided to read a few again. i enjoy the fact that the year on this post is the year of your birth rather than the year you wrote it. clever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home