Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Psalm 24: Our Fathers' World

This world is God’s
and all the sunsets and
mountains and
old-growth forests
in Oregon
(not to mention
small dying men
inhabiting
basements on Chicago’s
near northwest side).
But ascending into God
requires some form
of decency and love
(and probably
good hygiene).
The clean
shall find blessing.
Look hard to see the
face of God
and of your father
who sits in his chair
and looks tired, tired,
and tired
until he thinks
someone is watching.
No, don’t look.
Let God and
your dad
have their rest.
Oh, common ground
reveal yourself
and doors open wide:
God would march
this way.
Oh, sweet love & life &
hard work & sport &
death & loneliness &
confusion & anger & quietude
& joy &
sweet adoration of God’s goodness
reveal yourself
and doors open wide:
God might march
this very way.

1/05/06

if you had
a dad
you might love him

9 Comments:

At August 30, 2006 at 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting another beautiful psalm. I adore reading your words.
-Ali

 
At August 30, 2006 at 5:12 PM, Blogger Marissa said...

One of my favorites I think.
Miss you.

 
At September 1, 2006 at 4:17 AM, Blogger Trav said...

I like the repetition of the word 'and' towards the end. Reading that same word over and over again makes the reader anxious for the release. And using ampersands instead of the word frustrates the reading.

All that to say, it is brilliant.

 
At September 5, 2006 at 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are my sunshine.

 
At September 6, 2006 at 3:20 PM, Blogger Dave said...

so good to see you back. wonderful.

 
At September 7, 2006 at 1:57 PM, Blogger thedurovcircle said...

Marty, do you know that I still have emails of yours from 3 or 4 years back? Sometimes I read them, just because I like to. I wish we lived closer!

 
At October 3, 2006 at 11:48 AM, Blogger Scott Jones said...

I'm glad you're posting again.

 
At November 2, 2006 at 4:55 PM, Blogger Tack City said...

I totally agree, Wendy (who I've not responded to in email, but without malice or aforethought), Mother is way tired. And mother more than deserves her own psalm. However, I am trying as I can to write companion pieces to the actual Psalms. This one really spoke of "father" to me.
Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to write a mother psalm soon.
And perhaps let you read it over drinks and dinner.

 
At February 5, 2007 at 1:18 PM, Blogger Ray Frenden said...

Hey, sir. Drop me a line when you get a chance!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home